Saturday, July 12, 2014

How Ancient Greek Wisdom Can Change Our Lives. (Like, Right Now.)

I never thought I would weave ancient Greek wisdom into my blogging. But alas, I have here for you a powerful story that could teach us a thing or two about the importance of following our own path. 

So, with no further ado: Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!

(Sorry, I had to. And yes I know, Greece vs. Rome, but whatever.)

This story of Greek wisdom comes from someone I met in Denver during the Writer's Workshop weekend. But I didn't meet him at the conference. It was a much more of a chance encounter (although how much of anything is really by "chance"?) that ended up in a conversation and then a spontaneous brunch the morning before I left. He was a kindred sprit, the type of person you feel fortunate to meet.

This was an email I received from him today (he is a writer as well, thus the eloquence of his storytelling). 

There once was this Greek sculptor who went by the name of Polykleitos. Polykleitos was a man obsessed with math. He was a careful observer of the natural world and all of its wondrous forms. In his observations, he noticed something highly peculiar. There was this sort of mathematical proportioning which seemed present in every plant, animal, rock, mountain, shadow, energy, in everything he observed which wasn't man made.

In his quest to create the perfect sculpture of a human figure, he decided that the application of this equation was necessary. But he wanted to make a test of it. He wanted to show his fellow Greeks beyond and reasonable doubt that his discovery regarding proportion was valid. So Polykleitos made two statues. One, he applied his formula of proportioning to, and for the other he relied on the views of the average Greek citizen. By which I mean he literally opened up the doors of his work shop to Greece herself. Any one who wanted to could simply walk into his shop and tell him, "Make the arms longer." or "I think this shoulder should be higher." "The eyes should be further apart." Any change he was asked to make, he made without question.  

When he was finished he unveiled both statues to the public. While both were beautiful, no doubt, but there was clearly one which stood out as being vastly superior. All of his countryman agreed, and Ploykleitos himself beamed with pride. With a sly smile he told them, "This is the statue which I have created. That abomination you see there, was what you created."

Polykleitos changed forever the way the Greek people thought, created, and looked at art. Indeed, the ripples of his ideals are still felt to this day when we look at artistic proportioning. 

Now, the reason I am sending you this story was because I was having this conversation with a co-worker today and he was giving me all of this advice on what I should be doing with my life. I started thinking about it...doesn't everyone seem to have an opinion on what you SHOULD be doing with your life? Don't you find at just about every turn you are meeting people who want to steer you in this direction or that? I started thinking about these things as I was driving and then I remembered the story of Polykleitos. I remembered the profound effect he had on the world around him by following his own path. By believing in himself and by paving his own road. 

Wow.

Pretty snazzy, huh?

I always go to friends and family (and, let's be real, my daily/weekly/monthly/singles horoscope online) when I need opinions, thoughts and advice. I take their ideas with gratitude and respect, and weigh them in with my "gut" decision. And sometimes I even come to the right conclusion by simply talking through my situation with them.

Always feel empowered to seek advice and wisdom from others, especially those you respect. Being an independent, trail-blazing lone wolf at all times can be a burden! But use their words of advice as a part of your decision making process, not the sole reliable source. Because no one knows you better than YOU.

It's easy to fall into the habit of doing what others think you should do. It is much less scary and overwhelming to follow along with what friends/family/society expects you to do, rather than follow your own (sometimes scary-as-hell) dreams and gut feelings. But...it's your life. Not theirs. You were given your own voice for a reason; let it be heard!

So remember my dear Romans, like Polykleitos, you have the power and permission to trust your instincts. Because you never know the profound effect you will have on the world by believing in yourself and paving your own road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment